God placed families at the center-piece of his plans. When addiction strikes, the family is deeply impacted. We believe that God’s plans are to not only intervene with the addict, but to allow the entire family to receive healing and support. Even though it appears that the addict’s recovery will resolve all the problems, usually the confusion, betrayal and pain addiction has caused more long-term ramifications. Families oftentimes have been fighting the “enemy” of addiction without an understanding of its full force. They have furthermore been trying to manage and deal with the difficult challenges addiction brought, and in the meanwhile became consumed with it.
Because everyone has been affected, the family as a whole must be supported in the recovery process. We believe in the power of God’s Word and His promises in bringing restoration and reconciliation. We also believe that God can orchestrate a method that will lead to a successful transition of the addict’s re-entry. Families fear relapse more than anything. That's why we seek to better prepare them to understand the signs of recovery, relapse, healthy boundaries and positive support. In doing so, a healthy environment can be created that can assist in relapse prevention altogether. While there are never guarantees, through education, understanding and planning, the addict and the family stand the best possible chance of success. It furthermore gives family members the ability to make choices and to live without the toxic effects of addiction in the future.
Over the years we felt there was no material that could validate all the realities of addiction from a Biblical, spirit-led perspective. Thus came the development of a soon to be released title (coming June 2014) of Christian Families in Recovery. While this book will be made accessible to the general audience, we actually developed this to fit the needs of family members who have a family member going through our treatment program. As the designated family representative, you will be allowed (if authorized) to participate in a Family Addiction Education and Planning program. This includes:
- You will receive full book download titled Christian Families in Recovery
- You will receive an application workbook based on the book with daily application and homework projects
- You will receive an invitation to a live webinar that will teach a four-class series. This class will be taught live to the clients, and the family members will join via webinar. That means everyone will be able to hear the same message and benefit from the mutual edification and support.
- You will receive a one-on-one session with a counselor to review the workbook process and prepare for a family discharge plan
- You will be invited to a family session with the treatment client to write a family plan that will house the needs, expectations, boundaries and methods of support in the transition back home.
- You will offered additional resources through our ministry as appropriate or needed
Many times, family members feel the need to be supported through 12 steps and Al-anon type program. We encourage this, and believe you should reach out into a local community of men and women who are in your shoes. Our sister ministry also provides resources on Christian codependence workshop and materials. For more information, please visit our blog at www.christiancodependence.wordpress.com.